PARTNER - EMPLOYMENT & IMMIGRATION
Matthew is a partner in our Employment team with more than 12 years' experience in all aspects of employment law and both business and family immigration.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE (EMPLOYMENT)
Matthew has a varied portfolio of clients, incorporating FTSE 250 companies, global businesses, SMEs, start-ups, charities, family offices and private individuals. His experience has covered numerous sectors, including retail, healthcare, recruitment, professional services (including financial services), technology, telecommunications and property investment.
Matthew is experienced in all aspects of employment law, including:
- Employment tribunals and appeals
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Alternative dispute resolution (including mediation)
- Termination of employment
- Redundancy consultations and restructures
- Settlement agreements
- Employment contracts
- Bonus / Commission schedules
- Post-termination restrictive covenants
- TUPE transfers
- Staff handbooks and policies
- LLP member departures
AREAS OF EXPERTISE (IMMIGRATION)
Matthew's experience includes advising global listed companies, HNW individuals, and private individuals on all aspects of business and family immigration:
- Sponsor licence applications and management (including Sponsorship Management System)
- Points Based System visas (Tiers 1, 2, 4 and 5)
- Family visas
- EU Settlement Scheme
- Administrative reviews
- Appeals to the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber)
- Acted for Claimant in the Employment Tribunal in a complex case regarding the transfer of employment of a dismissed CEO to a phoenix company in the EU following administration of the UK company, achieving an award of compensation for the Claimant.
- Succeeded at the Employment Appeals Tribunal in overturning the Employment Tribunal's decision regarding a significant bonus for a former CEO of a fintech company.
- Successfully negotiated with the Respondent in pre-tribunal mediation to achieve significant compensation for a top-level surgeon in respect of a breach of contract by an NHS Trust.
- Succeeded with complex Tier 1 (Investor) applications at both initial and extension stages in which prescribed evidential requirements were not met.
- Numerous successes at First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber), keeping couples and families together.
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Immigration Law Practitioners' Association